WIN a free trip to Leipzig! Enter to win your next German trip free, including flights, accommodation and travel cards for two people. Leipzig is the new German Cool –Enter here now!
Christmas Glitters: Germany’s Camper than Christmas Markets
Christmas is to me a quintessentially gay time of year. All that dressing up, colour and movement. The season is the usually height of camp and vamp with lots going on to remind you the year is almost done.
Your town might in recent years have ‘discovered’ a Christmas Market ‘tradition’ but if you’ve never seen the original, you don’t know what you are really missing.
That’s why I am so excited with this year – as I am returning to Germany to explore a new Christmas Market – or five.
German Yuletide celebrations are built upon a history of literally centuries and you can feel their authenticity from the minute you arrive in the historic centre of so many German towns and cities that have nurtured and treasure their Christmas Market traditions.
In larger centres there are often two or three markets running from late November until Christmas Eve so there is lots to choose from.
Here are Seven Top Christmas Markets for you to add to your Christmas shopping list this year.
Don’t just take my advice though. Check out oodles of LGBT travel info on the official German National Tourist Office site about some ‘have-to-be-seen’ German destinations with gay travel info to make your next German sojourn one to tell those at home all about on your return.
Seven Unforgettable German Christmas Markets
1. Leipzig – celebrating Christmas since 1458
2. Hamburg – take your pick from many around town and be sure to check out the main market outside the Town Hall
3. Berlin – Weihnachtsmarkt vor dem Schloss Charlottenburg is a great place to add to your list
4. Düsseldorf Christmas Market – catch modern architecture and Christmas tradition entwined
5. Frankfurt Christmas Market – dating from 1353, this is a true Christmas you will not forget
6. Munich Christmas Market – drenched in lights the Munich market attracts thousands of visitors each year
7. Cologne Christmas Markets – Choose one from the seven markets and check out the gay scene in the legendary ‘Bermuda Triangle’